[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] XComposite window capture demuxer (Linux)

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Wed May 20 12:30:40 EEST 2020

Quoting Nicolas George (2020-05-20 10:47:57)
> Anton Khirnov (12020-05-20):
> > For what my opinion is worth, I agree with Lynne here. Messing with
> > OpenGL global state in the libraries is something we absolutely should
> > not do.
>
> Good thing we would not be "messing with" anything. We would be using
> the global OpenGL state at the request of the user.

To a calling program, this demuxer would appear as any other demuxer.
Many programs using libavformat will take the demuxer name from the user
and use it as-is, which might break them in non-obvious ways if they use
OpenGL themselves.

> Could we stop the fallacious implicit argument that the OpenGL devices
> and filters would be used randomly rather than be explicitly requested
> by users? If the users want to use that component and know the
> consequences, who are you to deny them, seriously?

Could you please stop with this utterly infuriating discussion style? I
mean this passive-aggressive "we" and presenting your personal opinions
as absolute inviolable truths. I would highly appreciate it if you
considered the possibility that
- your opinions are just that - your opinions; they are not necessarily
  right
- other people may have opinions that disagree with yours; that does not
  necessarily mean they are wrong
I know I am not alone in the impression that arguing with you is
pointless since you seem to treat discussions as something that you need
to win and disregard any arguments you disagree with.

--
Anton Khirnov