[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jul 8 01:49:22 EEST 2020

On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 10:03:34 -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 7/7/2020 8:33 AM, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > FWIW, the “less secure” part is about not supporting 2FA (POP/IMAP has no
> > OAuth-like authentication methods).
>
> This is not true. Thunderbird and i assume any modern IMAP/SMTP client
> supports Oauth (which triggers the 2FA Gmail offers), so it's not one of
> the "Less secure" applications Google warns you about.

I believe this is due to the fact that Thunderbird is a non-synamically
registered application:

https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/file/tip/mailnews/base/util/OAuth2Providers.jsm

> And for those applications, like git send-email, they introduced the
> "App passwords" that you can use to you login without Oauth and thus no
> 2FA prompt, without having to make any changes in security settings like
> it was years ago.

That's also the impression I had, that there's some shim to be used to
avoid compromising your account's security. I don't know how it plays
with git send-email though.

Instructions would be nice.

Moritz

(I see the discussions mutt is going through in trying to support XOAUTH2
with Microsoft. Not that I care. ;-))