[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Jul 7 20:17:51 EEST 2020

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020, at 15:15, Nicolas George wrote:
> Jean-Baptiste Kempf (12020-07-05):
> > With tools and organization.
>
> Sure, but you are forgetting one wing: responsibility.
>
> The reason many patches go a long time without review is that nobody
> feels responsible for reviewing them.

I'm sorry, but I believe this is the downside of the MAINTAINERS file.
MAINTAINERS file explain to people that someone "owns" a part of the code, and therefore, there is no incentives for other people to understand that code.
Also, it de-responsibilizes people from reviewing the parts that are not the ones that they maintain.

And that happens because some people on the MAINTAINERS files are not active anymore.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf - President
+33 672 704 734