[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Jul 7 16:05:06 EEST 2020

Soft Works (12020-07-05):
> When then reviewer would not have to look for code style and could
> assume that this is all right, he would be free to focus on the actual things.
> And when it's only about code-style, a reviewer would not need to
> review a patch two times (original + corrected) for checking whether
> there were no other changes (imagine a multi-part patch).
> Also, the contributor would not have to wait two times for his patch
> to get reviewed.

Honestly, this is a non-issue. When we review, we are not looking for
code style violations specifically. We are looking at the code very
carefully to try and spot real flaws. In doing so, we just see code
style violations and report them. It costs nothing.

Looking at a patch several times is a good thing: there are problems,
real problems, that we only spot on the second, third, fourth attempt.

> Continuous integration processing could also list compiler warnings
> isolated to the patch and help a reviewer spot issues that he might
> have overlooked otherwise.

Sure, helpful tools would be nice.

Regards,

--