[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Steinar H. Gunderson steinar+ffmpeg at gunderson.no
Mon Jul 6 10:40:27 EEST 2020

On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 11:42:19PM +0000, Soft Works wrote:
> When then reviewer would not have to look for code style and could
> assume that this is all right, he would be free to focus on the actual things.

FWIW: At work, we went to clang-format to simply automate away 90%
of these things completely. (Some things, like naming conventions, are still
manual.) I was skeptical at first, but it showed to be a huge win; maybe not
as much because it made the reviewer's job easier, but because it made it
_harder_. When you can no longer make a few easy comments about braces and
that's the review, you're forced to go more in-depth, and quality of review
goes up.

This is probably too drastic a step for FFmpeg at this point, but I wanted
to mention it anyway.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: https://www.sesse.net/