[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Jul 7 15:44:19 EEST 2020

Kieran Kunhya (12020-07-07):
> I don't disagree with the point about Gmail, however the reality of the
> situation is this is how 95% of the world now use email.

I would argue that 95% of the world has nothing of value to bring to
FFmpeg anyway.

And I would add there is probably a very strong correlation between
"having something of value to bring to FFmpeg" and "being able to learn
different ways of using software".

Therefore, this number, "95%" (which was probably invented on the spot,
like 99.1729% of statistics in similar situations) is not relevant in
this discussion.

> We are in a stagnasis as a project even *with* self-described experts
> staying.
> If they are the experts then they can deal with inconvenience to widen the
> pool of developers. A real expert sees the value in a sustainable project.

I think you are not using the word "expert" properly. Expertise means
being very good at something, not being good at everything.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George