[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Jul 7 15:07:02 EEST 2020

Quoting Manolis Stamatogiannakis (2020-07-07 13:28:55)
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 12:46, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
>

> > * GMail's warnings about "less secure" applications are scare tactics to
> >   get you to exclusively use their products, because they cannot feed
> >   you advertisement when you use a real mail client with their IMAP and
> >   SMTP servers.
> >

> I *strongly* disagree with the scare tactics part. One's gmail account may
> be tied to several other online accounts.
> Having "less secure" applications enabled means that if your gmail password
> is compromised, people can easily own a few dozens of other accounts you
> own.
> And you won't even know, because gmail won't alert you about the intrusion.

Then the right solution is to support generating tokens with limited
privileges, e.g. just for SMTP access. Then again somebody in this
thread said this is already possible, so I don't know what we are even
arguing about.

Beyond that you can make a separate email account just for sending
patches, if you want to be extra doubleplus secure.

--
Anton Khirnov