[FFmpeg-devel] Bad language on this mailing list

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-dev at jdlh.com
Mon Jul 6 23:27:57 EEST 2020

On 2020-07-04 14:08, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020, at 20:09, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>> Why is bad and offensive language tolerated on this mailing list and on IRC?
> It is not tolerated.
> Whatever the reason.
>
> --
> Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President

Jean-Baptiste, with respect, rudeness and offensive language _is_
norm enforcement when rudeness appears, and by the lack of visible
punishment to those who are rude. I think it is especially important for
the person with "President" after their name to have a clear idea of the
actual behaviour of the group.

You are the best at attempting to enforce community norms. In a few
recent threads, you have responded to rudeness by saying that rude
behaviour is not welcome. That is good. You announced recently that you
kicked a person off IRC as a consequence of their rude behaviour there.
That is good. However, it is very mild compared to what I think should
happen.

None of the multiple instances of rudeness on this list in the last few
weeks has been met with a wide-spread public rebuke. None have resulted
in a list member being suspended from the list, or having their code
commit authority suspended.

Rudeness and offensive language is against the _rules_ of this list and
of IRC, but it is clearly "tolerated". I wish it were not. I am hopeful
that setting up the community governance, and forming councils with
authority to deal with bad behaviour, will improve the situation.
        —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada