[FFmpeg-devel] ABI break in 4.3

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 22:12:19 EEST 2020

On 7/5/2020 3:59 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Sunday 2020-07-05 19:21, James Almer wrote:
>>>  8 files changed, 1163 insertions(+), 44 deletions(-)
>>
>> The list of functions is incomplete. After a quick look, you're for
>> example missing av_map_videotoolbox_format_* in libavutil.[..]
>> This is another issue that i don't know if you considered, and that's
>> the fact currently some symbols may not present depending on configure
>> time options, build environment, and target system. Videotoolbox is of
>> course not available for you unless you're targeting OSX.
>
> An alternative to building an initial list from `nm` is to
> visually work through the function declarations in .h files.
> This also requires knowing which of those get installed to /usr/include
> and which constitute private headers.

The list of installed headers is $(HEADERS) in each of the project's
library specific Makefiles.

> I am sure you are more capable of knowing which ones are
> which; I have only worked with ffmpeg source for a day.

My intention was to state that ultimately it may not be a simple task to
get a fixed, non build time generated .ver file for this purpose. The
fact some symbols (at least currently) can be present or not may play
against it.