[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Kieran Kunhya kieran618 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 5 20:01:02 EEST 2020

Going back to the original point in hand.
Many patches aren't getting reviewed and pushed any more.

In part this is because in 2020 whether we like it or not mailing
lists are not the way to do Git based development.
The kernel is the exception to the rule, as Linus says it has a whole
load of grey-bearded system maintainers who are paid full time to work
on it.

For new contributors git send-email is annoying. For people wanting to
push, the .mbox format is annoying, Gmail doesn't support it any more.
And you can't get new contributors to start using CLI based email
clients or run their own mail server, that's not going to happen.

A solution like Gitlab is the only way forward. It has worked well for
dav1d, it can run regression tests on all platforms for all commits:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d

Merges are done with one push of a button. Yes, the branch sprawl is
not great but it's better than now.
It has inline patch reviews which are nice.

Whether we like it or not web interfaces are the way 95% of the world
does Git and we have to move with the times.

Kieran