[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Kieran Kunhya kieran618 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 5 19:38:25 EEST 2020

> > People aren't using it because people don't use MPEG-2.
> > There is no maintenance to be done on a format that's 25 years old, do
> > you want me to randomly change cosmetics to make you feel happy?
>
> If you'd get off your high horse for once, that would make me feel happy.

Please let me know what "maintenance" you'd like me to do on x262?

> I don't think I told anybody to implement the missing features for free.
> But I do believe that payed or free development has a higher chance of
> happening if existing code is already available in a popular
> package/project. And yes, I believe that some "maintenance burden" should
> be accepted by the base project to give more chance to further
> advancement, payed or free.

It's not your pejorative to say that x264 developers have to accept
and maintain a merge back of x262.
Also this is quite complex now owing the combined 8/10-bit single
binary. Furthermore any change to H.264 they would now have to test
and maintain for MPEG-2.
You seem to imply that this work is quite simple which is easy for you
to say when you are the one not doing it.
Do you plan to do this work?

Kieran