[FFmpeg-devel] FLIF Encoder & Decoder Project for GSOC 2020

Jai Luthra me at jailuthra.in
Sun Feb 23 12:20:56 EET 2020

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 02:54:42PM +0530, Kartik Khullar wrote:
>I am 2nd year Computer Engineering Student at TIET, Patiala. I am
>interested in FLIF Encoder and Decoder Project. I am informing so as to
>prevent clash between other potential applicants. I will be working on its
>Qualification Task.

Hey Kartik, thanks for letting us know!

>I have previously studied theory and mathematics behind JPEG Compression
>using DCT, also I am good at C/C++ and have worked using git before. Also any
>help from mentor's side will be helpful for me.

DSP knowledge is a great plus. FLIF does not use DCT but uses other lossless
transformation passes as given in the spec [1].

Pick a couple of the passes and/or other components of FLIF like parsing the
bitstream for packets/headers or the MANIAC entropy coder. Understand them
through the spec and the reference codec, and write a module under lavc.
Decoding part is usually easier to start with, but it is up to you.

Let us know whatever component(s) you pick, and if you have any doubts ask
away here or on the #ffmpeg-devel IRC.

[1]: https://flif.info/spec.html

--
Jai (darkapex)