[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Built-in documentation API

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sun Aug 23 20:33:47 EEST 2020

Marton Balint (12020-08-23):
> It is loaded (or at least mmapped) into memory unconditionally.

It is mmaped, and therefore only uses memory if it is used. Actually,
when it is used, it ends up requiring less memory than other solutions.
So I ask again: why do you consider it an issue?

>								   Also, is
> there another similar sized project which embeds full help into binary? I

I do not know how they do it internally, but most spreadsheets I have
used have the full help of their mathematical functions right in the
dialog for building formulas.

> have not heard of such project. This whole help API looks like yet another
> NIH for libavutil.

The interesting part of developing Libre Software is precisely inventing
new solutions, to makes things more convenient, more powerful, etc.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George