[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Built-in documentation API

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Sun Aug 23 20:26:02 EEST 2020

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020, Nicolas George wrote:

> Marton Balint (12020-08-23):
>> I don't like the idea of compiling the full help text into the binaries.
>> Libraries are already huge binaries, adding the help text increases the
>> binary size even more.
>
> Why do you consider this an issue? It does not take more disk space in
> the binaries than in separate files.

It is loaded (or at least mmapped) into memory unconditionally. Also, is
there another similar sized project which embeds full help into binary? I
have not heard of such project. This whole help API looks like yet
another NIH for libavutil.

There are tools for browsing help, like a browser, or a pdf reader. All
will be more useable and searchable than a GUI somebody hacks together to
be able to use libavutil help API just because it can.

Regards,
Marton