[FFmpeg-devel] ERROR: avisynth/avisynth_c.h not found

Helmut K. C. Tessarek tessarek at evermeet.cx
Tue Apr 7 01:42:16 EEST 2020

On 2020-04-05 20:02, Marton Balint wrote:
> The headers got removed because the ffmpeg source tree is no place for
> third party library headers.

I get that and it makes sense.

> Yes, avisynth was an exception, not anymore.

I also get that, but the commit message should have mentioned that.

> Actually with the change it got documented that you need to install the
> headers.
>
> https://www.ffmpeg.org/general.html#AviSynth

Thanks for the info. Yet again, I would have expected something in the
commit message.
I ususally don't care, but this commit broke the build process.

> Sometimes you have to follow up on your compile scripts to be able to
> build the newest ffmpeg. Considering that how easy avisynth upstream made
> it to install the headers, I am sure this is only a small nuisance.

I can't tell you how often I had to change the script to compile ffmpeg.

It's not a problem, but when I run into a compile issue, I check what the
problem was. "header missing" pointed me to commit 0c75acb4ce
(compat/avisynth: remove avisynth headers), yet there was nothing in the
commit message.

Cheers,
  K. C.

- --
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek              KeyID 0x172380A011EF4944
Key fingerprint = 8A55 70C1 BD85 D34E ADBC 386C 1723 80A0 11EF 4944

/*
   await thee at its end.
*/