[FFmpeg-devel] Is it ok to add G.722.1 decoder as external lib?

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sat Sep 21 17:07:40 EEST 2019

Carl Eugen Hoyos (12019-09-21):
> I now wonder if this isn't much nicer than "You may use this FDK AAC
> Codec software or modifications thereto only for purposes that are
> authorized by appropriate patent licenses."
> (In the sense that it doesn't try to conceal the true terms)

It is not "nicer", it is incompetent. If you read the whole COPYING file
from libg722_1:

https://github.com/traviscross/freeswitch/blob/master/libs/libg722_1/COPYING

you realize is is not actually a license: is does not contain anything
that gives the authorization to use their code.

Compare to the license of fdk-aac, which is proper legalese, gives
explicitly the right to use the code, and has been vetted by Debian.

> Anyway, the more important question is how to deal with Freeswitch.

Not accept their code unless they fix the license. Easy.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George