[FFmpeg-devel] Quo vadis, code of conduct?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon May 6 00:20:50 EEST 2019

Hello everyone!
I noticed that there seems to be a code of conduct nowadays
(https://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Code-of-conduct).

Now I assume that if it's there, there is SOMEONE who wanted it.
I'm sorry, but I for my part don't think that it's being
particularly lived up to.

So I'll say this, on the suspicion that it might need saying:

If you want a code of conduct, you actually need to speak up.

If nobody speaks up, it's just useless blabla.

You can't expect others to do it.

Or be honest enough to say there isn't really one because
nobody ACTUALLY stands behind it (even if most live
up to it, that is quite a different thing from standing
up for it).

My apologies for barging in here and starting this kind of thing.
But if you haven't lately given it a thought where you stand on
the topic, I take the liberty to ask you to.

Best regards,
Reimar Döffinger

P.S.: I followed my own advice and thought about it.
And I think I likely don't have time to stick around anyway.
While I do, I might speak up occasionally. But I honestly
just don't care enough to make it my fight. If you're looking
for a torchbearer, look elsewhere.
I'll sit and watch and hope I'll learn from doing things like
writing this email. Maybe I'll step up to go poke a few
bears next (or maybe boars, not enough bears in this part of
Sweden).