[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] New build system

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:02:11 EEST 2018

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:56 PM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:

> Josh de Kock (2018-06-14):
> > As such, I'd like to propose adopting a new build system to FFmpeg, namely
> > Meson[1].
>
> I am very strongly against this.
>
> I loathe make and all it has to do with it, but really, for a project
> like this, it is the only viable option. The principles of make are
> already known by almost all potential Libre software developers, those
> in the project and those not yet.
>
> Make is also a very mature system, with many interoperable
> implementations; and although FFmpeg relies on a lot of extensions that
> are specific to GNU make, these extensions themselves are very mature
> and I think implemented in a few other versions. It is completely
> different from using a very young project that has only a single
> implementation and that still evolves so much that you did not manage to
> use a released version.

I don't mind make itself, for me its configure thats the real problem.
Its extremely slow (we're talking minutes), for me often taking longer
then the actual compilation (especially with ccache) - and that is
really extremely painful.
configure is also whats causing all those headaches, not make.

- Hendrik