[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] New build system

Mathieu Duponchelle mathieu at centricular.com
Wed Jul 4 20:27:57 EEST 2018

On 07/04/2018 07:01 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> I don't understand: If everything is enabled and there are
> no options to disable features, how did you (and other
> people in favour of this change) measure performance?

Everything is automatically enabled indeed, but most of the system checks are
however implemented, and the internal dependency check loop has been ported,
making for a pretty fair comparison, if anything the amount of checks is probably
higher with the meson port.

Regarding build time (which as I stated is similar), the amount of object files being
compiled is also roughly the same.

Given the nature of FFmpeg's build system, a pure apples to apples comparison
is probably be going to be difficult to make, but I think the measurements I made
show differences significant enough to be worth mentioning.

--
Mathieu