[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.4

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 10 19:01:37 EEST 2017

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 12:45:59 -0300
James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/9/2017 8:17 AM, wm4 wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 13:53:13 +0200
> > Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:

> >> Iam not sure what you mean by "I vote the release ..."
> >> please clarify
> >
> > "I vote to delay the release"
>
> Please, don't. It's been months since the last release, and I'm nearing
> a point in the merges where a release needs to be branched out before i
> can continue (Technically speaking, I'm at a commit I'd rather not have
> in 3.4 to being with).

But that's what I'm doing. I'm blocking the 3.4 release until cuvid is
in, and until I get the hwframes setup API I always wanted. The latter
is a patch that's pending in Libav.

> The concerns Michael explained about the opaque_ref wrapping in lavc
> with draw_horiz_band apparently also apply to libav, so maybe talk with
> the author of the commit you're cherry picking and see if there's a
> different solution instead? And with Mark about the wrapped_avframe decoder.

There's no feasible "different" solution. Yes, we can do the following:
- get the draw_horiz_band callback called with a fixed opaque_ref field
- fix the broken codecs that claim to support DR even though they don't
  (I'd just add a BROKEN_DR capability)
- fix wrapped_avframe decoder

But I have no idea if michaelni would agree to that since he's not
responding anymore.