[FFmpeg-devel] ffserver: current status and future plans

Michael Fritscher michael.fritscher at telematik-zentrum.de
Fri Sep 23 18:46:06 EEST 2016

Hello,

as promised I started to work on ffserver. The focus of the first week
was to remake a fresh building environment - incl. FATE - and get an
overview what it is needed to be done.

1. FATE
There is already a test for ffserver, but out of FATE. This test does
not work for me, but this is a cygwin related problem (wget <blah> | dd
bs=1 count=20k : wget isn't exited automatically if dd exits, and
because of that the test hangs) Does anybody know more details of the
warning

"
Unfortunately ffserver is broken and therefore its regression test fails
randomly. Treat the results accordingly.
"
in the Makefile regarding this test?

2. rtsp server
I was told that the rtsp-demuxer can listen now as well. Can this
demuxer cope with multiple concurrent connections as well? If not, is
this a problem with this demuxer or the demuxer API in general? If the
later one I would like to get some advise how to solve this.

3. ffm
3.1. Using it as a ring buffer.
I think that can be solved rather easy.
3.2. Using it for transfering the streams.
Not that big story either - there are other formats like nut.
3.3. Using it for negotiating the needed video formats.
This is by far(!) the biggest obstacle I found. This is the main cause
ffm is plant to be removed I guess (because of the AVCodecContext
problem). Additionally, some people doesn't like the idea that ffserver
sets the streaming options. Honestly, I personally like this, and there
is a ffserver_ignore flag even today. I think that via a new protocol
this can be solved. This protocol will be only used to configure the
streams of ffmpeg.

4. other issues
The other internal includes are less critical I think - rather utility
functions etc. Did I miss something?

5. time frame
I know that ffserver hinders removal of some internal stuff (most
importantly ffm with its usage of AVCodecContext). On IRC, the idea of a
deadline popped up. Honestly I like this idea - it would be a clear rule
and would avoid a lot of confusion. I propose the 2016-12-31 - if by
then the usage of the internal things is not solved ffserver is going to
be removed. At least the things which are announced to me by 2016-10-15.
I would be more than happy making a detailed list what is to be done -
this mail being the first step.

Best regards,
Michael Fritscher
--
ZfT - Zentrum für Telematik e.V.
Michael Fritscher
Email: michael.fritscher at telematik-zentrum.de
Web: http://www.telematik-zentrum.de

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Klaus Schilling, Hans-Joachim Leistner
Sitz: Gerbrunn
USt.-ID Nr.: DE 257 244 580, Steuer-Nr.:  257/111/70203
Amtsgericht Würzburg, Vereinsregister-Nr.: VR 200 167