[FFmpeg-devel] My own project idea for GSOC 2016

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Mar 17 19:49:45 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 10:46:35AM +0530, Pawan Pal wrote:
> Hi,
> I am 3rd year undergraduate student pursuing B.Tech in Information
> Technology and Mathematical innovation from Cluster Innovation Centre,
> University of Delhi.
>
> I have been developing android application from 2 years and a good
> experience on various libraries. This is my github
> <https://github.com/pa1pal> profile.
>
> I have my own project idea which is "Mouse control using hand gestures"
> using real time image processing through OpenCV in android phone. I want to
> do this project in in GSOC under your mentor ship. I already done some work
> to track the hand gestures in android app using OpenCV.

how is this related to FFmpeg ?

the closest i could think of could be a video filter to detect hand
gestures, that could be done if it has a usecase within ffmpeg or
some user application, but does it have a use case ?
it might have some uses if its able to detect more generic things
than hand gestures but thats quite different then from what you
suggested

also the OpenCV dependancy seems a premature optimization, first
plain C based gesture detection should probably be implemented

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact