[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware Encoding on Rasberry Pi

Philip Herron redbrain at gcc.gnu.org
Thu Mar 17 18:12:38 CET 2016

Hi all,

I've been working on getting real-time video streaming from the raspberry
pi camera module.

Are there any existing projects to bring hardware encoding to ffmpeg on the
pi? I have had better performance using gstreamer to encode the video using:

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! omxh264enc !
"video/x-h264,width=1280, height=720, framerate=5/1, periodicty-idr=10,
config-interval=1"

And then using the rtsp server example code. It has an issue that it
doesn't support interleaved RTSP but ffserver does support this. I am
working on a new open source rtsp implementation for iOS and Android along
with the associated hardware decoder libraries. Which is done. I can view
raw .h264 files but i cannot stream in real time the rasberry pi camera
without alot of latency.

Ideally i find myself faced with 2 options:

1. Find a way to redirect the gstreamer output to my ffserver feed.
http://0.0.0.0:8554/feed1.ffm
2. Implement hardware encoding of h264 in ffmpeg.

Any more information or corrections on my assumptions would be great.

--Phil