[FFmpeg-devel] Can we drop OpenJPEG 1.5 in favor of 2.x?

Michael Bradshaw mjbshaw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 23:37:57 CEST 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Timothy Gu <timothygu99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM James Almer <jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Gentoo and Debian both seem to ship it. Arch does as well but on their
> > Community repository (ffmpeg adopting it may be incentive enough for them
> > to move it to Extra).
> >
> In fact, at least two of the reverse dependencies (out of 8, not counting
> duplicates) of the Arch openjpeg package already support openjpeg2 (poppler
> and gst-plugins-bad).
>
> I would prefer if we keep compat for both since Ubuntu 14.04 LTS doesn't
> have openjpeg2 yet, and that's unfortunately not going away any time soon.

Crap, you're right. Before I started this I checked if Ubuntu had openjpeg2
and they do[1] but it turns out it's really just openjpeg 1.3 (if anyone
knows why they made a separate package named libopenjpeg2 when it's really
openjpeg 1.3, I'd be curious to learn why).

Well that settles it for me, then. I'll keep compatibility with 1.5.

[1]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libopenjpeg2