[FFmpeg-devel] Gathering opinions from FFmpeg developers about a reunification with Libav developers

Alex Beregszaszi alex at rtfs.hu
Tue Aug 4 23:35:38 CEST 2015

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Since Michael decided to step down as a leader, the question of
> reunification with Libav came up once more naturally. Before negotiations
> start again, I think it's important if we can all individually start
> thinking about what are our conditions or expectations from a potential
> reunification, and what we are willing to concede in the process.

I haven't been active on FFmpeg for many years now, yet I still follow
the discussions as my time allows.

I would question the whole merge:
1) To me it seems that libav has a smaller contributor and code base.

2) My gut feeling is that many of the new contributors come to libav
because they have found it in their distribution. As of now Debian and
Gentoo has switched back to FFmpeg. I would believe this source of
contributors would see a decline in libav.

3) Given Michael is stepping down, that should be an incentive for
those who are not contributing to FFmpeg directly because of him (if
such contributors exist) to reconsider their choice.

4) Do you want to have the same rules in FFmpeg as in libav? If not,
my gut feeling is that the original libav authors won't switch back,
i.e. libav would continue to be developed separately.

Long story short: my point is that it might not be needed to do an
official freeze and merge. Invite and welcome developers from the
other side.

Best,
Alex