[FFmpeg-devel] [EXTERNAL] Re: Extracting NTP timestamp from RTCP

kifayat ullah kifayat.ullah at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 19:13:42 CET 2014

Hello Fred and Michael,
Did you manage to put ntp time in this start_time_realtime?
I need to extract the ntp time stamp from RTSP incoming packets as my server send this to presented on time lime of my player.
Fred, did you sorted that out to get value of NTP and RTP from packet coming on rtsp lines.
Many thanks
-Kifayat

On Thursday, 5 December 2013, 2:11, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 05:33:25PM -0700, Fred Rothganger wrote:

> On 12/04/2013 05:08 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> >change the meaning of 0 with the next ABI bump or introduce a new
> >field but that might be overkill, dunno
> >

> IMHO, adding a second field is definitely overkill. It seems like
> the right thing to do is define a "not set" value, whatever it is,
> and stick with that. Right now it is 0, though perhaps only as an
> accident of history. It makes more sense to have a special value for
> "not set" different than 0, since 0 is a valid date.
>
> At this point I don't care either way. If this requires an ABI bump,
> how do I go about submitting a patch for it?

the code could interpret both 0 and AV_NOPTS_VALUE as "not set"
now and at some point in the future (when the major version is bumped)
drop the 0 case so it becomes avalable as a normal value

also see
see libavformat/version.h
and how the defines from there are used throughout the codebase

Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates