[FFmpeg-devel] Update about DVCProHD encoding in ffmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Dec 1 12:02:40 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 10:24:55AM +0100, aureshy lapoiss wrote:
> Hi FFmpeg devs,
>
> What is the current status regarding the support of DVCPRoHD encoding in
> ffmpeg?

iam waiting for someone to submit a patch that can be applied and
is not breaking any copyright/licenses from any authors

> I am aware of the discussion about the previous effort to patch :
>
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2012-January/119637.html
>
> Right now I am using a patch from Maksym Veremeyenko that I have patched
> myself from version to version (till 2.3.4). I also made bug fixes for 720p
> (based on SMPTE 370M).
>
> Eventually I would like to have those changes integrated.
> What can be done about the GPL\LGPL issue? Who should I contact?

The author(s) of the GPL code, I dont know who the authors of this
code are. But baptiste is likely one

OR

find a version of this code that is LGPL, it was hinted at in the
thread that a version from the BBC would exist that is.
Note of course that this may be older and have issues which are
fixed in the GPL code.

OR

Seperate the code in such a way that its not included unless
--enable-gpl is used during configure

OR

rewrite it without using any of the GPL code

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.