[FFmpeg-devel] Prioritize static builds and self-compilation over distro packages

Timothy Gu timothygu99 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 21:03:23 CET 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Lou Logan <lou at lrcd.com> wrote:
> Hi Werner,
>
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:19:28 +0100, Werner Robitza wrote:
>
>> The Ubuntu PPAs are out of date, and I suppose the same holds true for
>> Debian and Red Hat.
>
> We could add a note indicating that these are old or using old branches.
> Or maybe they should be removed completely.

Actually Jon's PPA have the newest version of ffmpeg in 0.10 branch. I
guess the reason he used the outdated branch is for the compatibility
for Libav. (Curse Debian for not using the newest release branch, and
curse apps for using the old API.)

I have a new Debian toolchain for ffmpeg based on libav
0.8.7-1ubuntu1. Maybe this will interest somebody. One thing about
that is that it uses 0.10 branch, because I cannot escape the problem
of incompatibility. That said it is practically the same as Jon's.
Maybe someone can extended it to build Git snapshot static builds.
https://github.com/TimothyGu/ffmpeg-debian/tree/raring

[...]

Timothy