[FFmpeg-devel] Prioritize static builds and self-compilation over distro packages

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Wed Oct 30 19:39:27 CET 2013

Hi Werner,

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:19:28 +0100, Werner Robitza wrote:

> The Ubuntu PPAs are out of date, and I suppose the same holds true for
> Debian and Red Hat.

We could add a note indicating that these are old or using old branches.
Or maybe they should be removed completely.

> My request – or at least the start of a discussion: Would it be possible to:
>
> - feature the static builds more prominently (move the repo sources a bit)
> - mention that compiling FFmpeg is easy (and link to the compilation
> guides on Trac)
>
> Yay or nay?

Sounds good to me. Consider providing a patch showing the changes you'd
like to see. If not I can provide a patch in a day or two.

Subheaders separating the various options under the Linux section might
help too.

ffmpeg-web repository is:
git://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-web

Lou