[FFmpeg-devel] GPU Hardware Acceleration [was Re: openCL support]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 4 00:10:24 CET 2013

On Fri, January 4, 2013 9:34 am, Don Moir wrote:

> [...]

It's not Ubuntu that is driving Linux desktop market share. It's the fact
that the native Linux desktop has arrived on multitouch hardware this
year.  Specifically with ARM and intel Atom support. Ubuntu spend some
cash on marketing so they get in the news. However all the Linux distros
can now run on mobile and multitouch hardware ootb. Linux is not expecting
to dominate. It is dominating. The overall OS/GUI infrastructure of Linux
native has become superior to iOS, Android, win8, blackberry, Palm and
they know it.

Overall desktop share is a small proportion of the global market for
computer operating systems. Linux is definitely king across the entire
computing hardware space.

I should also mention that most of the major movie studios run Linux
systems for their high performance rendering clusters. Linux and open
source tools for multimedia production are a big deal. Fully modular and
infinitely extendable hardware systems can be built for a fraction of the
cost of proprietary solutions. My conclusion after discussing the options
with AMD representatives directly for over a year is that AMD doesn't see
the value of open source in the multimedia production pipeline.  Actually
they perceive it as a threat to their main financial benefactors so
actively resist supporting open source projects and attempt to stall
progress as much as possible. It must be because multimedia is one of the
last domains that is being dominated by Apple and Microsoft proprietary
solution providers. The kickbacks from those companies must be generous
for AMD to not want to be successful in the open source multimedia space.

It seems they have calculated that they can earn more money by resisting
open source multimedia for as long as possible than by embracing it and
increasing their income through hardware sales. Probably because it would
mean they actually have to work for their money and provide decent
hardware solutions to their customers. It is no doubt a lot easier to take
slush money and hang out at tech expos promoting win8 than to actually
support open source customers and participate in the growth of the open
source multimedia community.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd