[FFmpeg-devel] Use ffmpeg as an Android stagefright plugin

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Aug 20 21:53:55 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:51:51AM +0800, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer said:
> > Is it possible to merge it in the ffmpeg upstream?
>
> i see lots of hardcoded config.mak/h files
> > Consider that new options could be added to configure and would then
> > be missing from this, also a user might want to build with different
> > codecs / (de)muxers than the ones hardcoded in these files
>

> That's right.
> This is the easier way to create a compatible
> makefile for android build system.
> Considering the target (android) is well-known,
> there is no real benefit to configure codecs/(de)muxers
> dynamically.

it can make sense to disable code that is very rarely used to reduce
the size of the resulting binary.

> I also considered to generate the android config.*
> from configure script on the fly.
> However, the output config.mak of configure is not friendly
> to android build system. It exports some variables
> like CC, CFLAGS that will conflict with
> the android build system.
> (Note Android doesn't use sub-make --
> all sub-makefiles are included in from the main makefile
> and all vars in sub-makefiles are exported)
>
> If you can modify the output of configure, say,
> splitting it into two files to let ARCH_*,
> HAVE_*, CONFIG_* vars in one file and
> others in another file, that would be more
> friendly to android build system.
> Then I could generate the android config.* on the fly.

You should be able to change CFLAGS / CC in the "# OS specific"
section of configure if they have incorrect values

configure is using the set cc/cflags to test various things like
compiler features so they should be set correctly.

But if i misunderstand and theres a real need to omit fields from
the config files that can be done as well or they could be placed
under ifdef

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato