[FFmpeg-devel] Threading issue with avcodec_decode_video2 ?

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 12:26:37 CET 2012

>>> Couldn't ff_msmpeg4_decode_init be called from the decoder init
>>> function, which is already inside a lock, so the static portions get
>>> initialized there?
>>> On a quick look, it doesn't seem to depend on any important values
>>> into avctx which would only be available later.
>>>
>>> - Hendrik
>>
>> I am still looking into issues. Doesn't look like Michael's patch will be enough but should know more soon.
>>
>> Depending on which way the wind is blowing :) I can see different types of bad behavior.
>>
>> I was wondering why my app would sometimes blow up in a hard exception and abort even in debugger. So out of curiosity, I
>> searched for abort in the ffmpeg libraries. In windows, abort() will cause the app to exit with some stupid error message that
>> means nothing to anyone.
>>
>> In ffmpeg proper, abort() is called in bitstream.c, mpegvideo.c, vp8.c in avcodec, and sctp.c in avformat.
>>
>> I have not yet confirmed that abort is actually called from ffmpeg but I suspect it is. I will see about confirming it but not
>> just yet. It may be coming into play in  vc1_decode_frame and getting in the way of finding real problems. In vc1_decode_frame,
>> it calls 'ff_find_unused_picture'. 'ff_find_unused_picture' calls 'find_unused_picture' and it calls abort() if it fails.
>> 'ff_find_unused_picture' and 'find_unused_picture' are in mpegvideo.c
>>
>> Question right now so I am not chasing ghosts, is why abort is ever called in ffmpeg. It's ok if it's just a command line app,
>> but not at all ok to put down an app that is probably doing a lot more.
>>
>> So again I have not yet confirmed abort is being called but it should not be there in the first place.
>>
>> I am pushing the test case hard with up to 100 files. (aslo tried 500 but mostly use less than 100). These numbers are overkill I
>> know but helps to define the problem. I think the abort can also happen with like 5 files so could be another thread issue in
>> vc1_decode_frame. When it goes thru clean, it all works as expected even with 500 files bangin the hell out of it.
>
> Here's the deal:
>
> If I lock down the entire statement: (also accounting for goto err if failed)
>
> if (ff_msmpeg4_decode_init(avctx) < 0 || ff_vc1_decode_init_alloc_tables(v) < 0)
>
> it works perfect. Any attempt to piecemeal the lock in either in either function results in eventual failure.
>
> As Hendrik pointed out, the lock is already in place in the init call, so I moved this code from vc1_decode_frame:
>
>    if (!s->context_initialized) {
>        if (ff_msmpeg4_decode_init(avctx) < 0 || ff_vc1_decode_init_alloc_tables(v) < 0)
>            return -1;
>        s->low_delay = !avctx->has_b_frames || v->res_sprite;
>        if (v->profile == PROFILE_ADVANCED) {
>            s->h_edge_pos = avctx->coded_width;
>            s->v_edge_pos = avctx->coded_height;
>        }
>    }

> [...]

Forgot to mention that abort seemed to be called as one of the spurious crashes I was seeing before lock was in place. So this is
not part of the particular problem but it's still a problem in that it is in the ffmpeg libraries and should be removed. abort()
appears to be in ffmpeg as a legacy thing back from when maybe just command line and single video.