[FFmpeg-devel] Notes about avdevice

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Nov 25 17:07:16 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 04:31:34PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Sunday 2012-11-25 13:59:36 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 01:47:37PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> [...]
> > > My suggestion would be to think if the avoption stuff could be extended
> > > to query valid option values even for more complex options like a
> > > device parameter.
> >
> > Thats an interresting idea
>
> Maybe something like a query_params() callback defined on the device
> in this case, since it will be device-specific.
>
> I mean something like:
> avdevice_query_params(devctx, &out, "list_devices", args?);

I maybe shouldn't speak up so much since I have no intention
of implementing it and really don't want to discourage anyone
to just do _something_, but I think it would be preferable
to have a function that works on generic AVOptions, not just
AVDevice.
Filters, decoder etc. all might benefit from better support
for any kind of option that is more than a number between
one min and one max.
In which case it would make more sense to have that
query_params callback defined e.g. in the AVClass or
possibly even the AVOption itself.