[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] change to the "setfield" filter

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 14:50:22 CEST 2012

On 16/04/12 12:47, Nicolas George wrote:
> L'octidi 28 germinal, an CCXX, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
>> Why not to add a new value for "progressive"? This way you preserve
>> the old semantics and don't break scripts.

I was trying to keep to the commonly used -1|0|1 format for consistency
with other options that use the same type and range of arguments, and
since Stefano came up with the script relatively recently, in response
to a query I made, I thought the risk of breaking scripts was relatively
low.

> The more values we add, the more nonsensical their numeric code will become.
> Better not to expose it at all. This is already done for -1/0/1, but this is
> not a reason to do it for new values as well.
>
> I do not propose to break scripts, I only propose that scripts that use
> -1/0/1 get a new warning:

I think I was suggesting that my proposal might break scripts, not that
your suggestion might.

> [setfield] Using -1/0/1 is deprecated, please use auto/tff/bff.
>
> And new scripts that use the new features will, perforce, use the names.

A good argument. Is this consistent with other areas?

--
Tim