[FFmpeg-devel] Copyright claims about material on ffmpeg.org

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Mon Mar 14 14:04:07 CET 2011

On 3/14/11, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Mans Rullgard claims copyright on the ffmpeg logo and threatens with legal
> consequences if it is not removed from ffmpeg.org:
>
> public #ffmpeg-dev
> Mar 13 17:50:47 <mru>   michaelni: please stop using my logo now
> Mar 13 17:51:00 <mru>   or you'll get a letter from my lawyer
> [...]
>
> I redid the logo within about 1h notice of the alleged violation so the
> current
> one on ffmpeg.org is no longer mans work. (and never was his design)
>

> This though just resulted in Ronald S. Bultje, claiming now copyright on my
> zigzag design and threatening with SFLC lawyers
> (btw i still should have the pencil and paper drawing here of the zigzag
> somewhere)
>
> Mar 13 19:37:19 <BBB>   michaelni: sorry, you don't own the zigzag logo, mru
> does. but I can ask aaron to help you with this monday if you so please
>

> It really saddens me to see FOSS people resort to SCO methods.
>
> What are the other developers opinion about this?
> should i just ignore that or should we give in to these ridiculous
> claims and drop the zigzag / create a entirely new logo?

I wonder what happened with the person who wrote these 2 emails.
He seems so much nicer and constructive.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/31855
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/44742

For these who want to comment on the Logo issues, it would be good
idea to read the full threads from the archive. They are quite long
and there are some good ideas. (And I love the monkey that drinks
cola, we should use it on some of the internal pages).

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/28758
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/44638

After reading these, I hope that it would be obvious to everybody that
the logo is result of community collaboration and that no single
person could claim exclusive copyright on it.