[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW+FFmpeg survival guide

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jun 25 17:32:23 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 09:03:52PM +0200, Axel Holzinger wrote:
> Do you know off-hand if using a different token '/' is already
> supported? The last time I tried (nearly a year ago) I think it
> wasn't.

The answer isn't quite as simple unfortunately.
There are unfortunately some flags that are used directly in the Makefile,
like -c, -o etc. they will be an issue.
For everything else the filter function can replace absolutely anything with
anything else.

> > However since there is no free version of ICL we'd need someone
> > with a proper license to maintain it.
>
> As said before, if there is somebody willing to I will luckily donate
> the needed licenses (win, msvc, icl) to ffmpeg. But I know that
> maintaining is the much bigger job though.

Well, I don't think it should be that much as long as it is a C99
compiler. MSVC was never an option because not being able to use
designated initializers just is a no-go IMO.
I think the question is mostly how much effort it is.
Also, VisualStudio project files is something that probably won't find a place,
and mingw/cygwin will always be required for running configure I'd
expect, so for people who expect more than a VisualStudio-compatible
debug build it will be a disappointment.