[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW+FFmpeg survival guide

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Fri Jun 24 11:53:07 CEST 2011

On date Wednesday 2011-06-22 22:41:29 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos encoded:

> > > Thank you, that is a very useful hint!
> >
> > Well so are you confirming that I'm not the only one facing the issue?
>
> Yes.
>
> > (and why nobody complained before?)
>
> Perhaps users believe (as I did) that this is a feature?

Not printing errors and other messages on console can be hardly
considered a feature...

Anyway I filed a bug against SDL and added a notice on the file.

> [...]
> > >
> > > That wasn't necessary for me, but probably doesn't hurt.
> >
> > Only required if you install MSysGit, it will tweak the HOME variable.
>
> iirc, I simply called git from MSys and it worked fine.
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > I did not need this...
> > > (Is it the reason for the reported linking problem?)
> >
> > How did you manage to create the DLLs then? AFAIK that's required for
> > creating DLLs.
>
> I simply ran ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static (and successfully
> tested the resulting binary), but it is of course possible I missed something.
>
> Didn't you miss installing libzip-devel and (libbzip2-devel)?

Uhm that's weird, as far as I know lib.exe is *required* for
generating DLLs. Can you confirm that you *don't* have lib.exe
installed?

Maybe I'm wrong and the Visual Studio install is not
required, maybe the Windows SDL toolkit would be just fine.

Now I'm facing problems with vfwcap, I always get an error in this
part of the code:

    ret = SendMessage(ctx->hwnd, WM_CAP_DRIVER_CONNECT, devnum, 0);
    if(!ret) {
        av_log(s, AV_LOG_ERROR, "Could not connect to device.\n");
        DestroyWindow(ctx->hwnd);
        return AVERROR(ENODEV);
    }

with both ffplay.exe and ffmpeg.exe, while -f vfwcap -i list shows the
available devices (just one).

Is it working correctly somewhere else?
--
FFmpeg = Fabulous and Furious Mythic Pitiful Elastic Gargoyle