[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 16 13:03:45 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:42:05PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 2/15/11 10:06 PM, Tobias Bindhammer wrote:
>> On 15.02.2011 17:01, Luca Barbato wrote:
>>> One of the problems with this "vote" is that "Yes" does not have a
>>> really defined or agreed effect.
>>>
>>> So I'm quite sure that your "Yes let's try to go back and find an
>>> agreement" isn't the same Yes as "remove all the signees from the
>>> project".
>>>
>>> What is the system you'd like?
>>
>> That is not part of my yes, please don't get me wrong here :-) I was
>> just thinking a step further and making suggestions for afterwards. If
>> all step back first, then we can discuss and _vote_ for a
>> system/rules/government/name it, that most of all developers want. Even
>> if that vote would be not my choice, i'd life with it and accept it and
>> still join in. That is just my sense of democracy. The number of
>> maintainers, committers, leaders, that is all discussable, but not
>> pushing things through without a vote. Therefore, whatever is, i have to
>> vote Yes.
>
> That doesn't change what I stated before. The only practical result of
> voting yes is removing 18 people from the project.

A signature of the 18 can mean
a) Strongly in favor, will leave if it doesnt pass
b) Strongly in favor, will be unhappy if it doesnt pass
c) Weakly in favor, dont really care much either way
d) Iam busy, just want diego to stop nagging with phone calls

The text that the 18 signed contained many things, one cant imply from that,
that had each point fairly been voted upon it would have had 18 supporters and
that in addition all would feel so strong about it to leave as alternative.

Its not that you shouldnt use gotos but rather that you should write
readable code and code with gotos often but not always is less readable