[FFmpeg-devel] discarding non frame data (was skipmultiple id3v2 headers)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Sep 24 00:15:29 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 02:33:29PM -0700, David Byron wrote:
> > no, i dont understand your patch at all
> > what is this supposed to do?
>
> It causes av_read_frame to return packets that only have audio for as many
> files as I've tested so far...without having to decode the audio to find
> out.
>
> > this looks a bit like a incorrect workaround to id3 parser
> > bugs if there are bugs, fix the bugs and dont try to
> > somehow skip over data or code somehow.
>
> I tried that but you didn't like what I sent.  For people who don't care
> about the metadata, something like this probably a bit faster though I
> haven't made any measurements.  The reason the id3v2 code has any idea about
> this flag at all is to handle the case where an id3v2 tag contains data that
> could be misinterpreted as audio data.
>
> > and with parser i meant AVParser
>
> That's easy to change but I'd like to make sure I'm on the right track
> before sending another patch.

we first need a explanation of the problem then we can discuss
how to solve it
theres no "it causes av_read_frame to return packets that only have audio"

we need a explanation of where the parser goes wrong, with reference to the
id3 spec and _unmodified_ example files that show the problem.

the goal is not to make it work for a test case but to understand why it
fails exactly and then to correct the real cause otherwise its just moving
problems around.

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.