[FFmpeg-devel] Passing info from a protocol to a demuxer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Sep 14 17:21:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:35:57AM +0100, Gavin Kinsey wrote:
> I'm trying to bring some code we have at the company I work for up to a
> standard that is acceptable for inclusion into ffmpeg.  There are many
> issues with it, but I know how to sort most of them.  The only one I'm
> not sure of is how to get information from the network protocol handler
> to the demuxer.
>
> The protocol our servers use is basically HTTP with some extra
> information in the headers.  This extra information includes what format
> the stream will be in.  Currently the protocol code stores this
> information in an extra variable in URLContext.  I'd like to replace
> this with something more elegant that doesn't clutter up the general API
> with our format-specific data.
>
> I'm not sure what to replace it with though, is what I want to do
> feasible?  I've looked a little at AVOption, could that do what I want?
>

> I could always fall back to brute force detection of the stream format
> using just the stream data, but given that we have the information
> available it seems a shame not to use it.

is there any (real) disadvantage with that?
it should be simpler too in code to use existing format probing

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato