[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH 0/8] ffmpeg: add tidsp hwaccel support to avcodec

Måns Rullgård mans
Wed Sep 8 11:32:07 CEST 2010

Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/9/8 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
>> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> ?libavcodec/tidsp_mpeg4.c ? ? ?| ?157 ++++++
>>
>> I dislike the "tidsp" name. ?This patch is for one specific, and
>> mostly obsolete, interface to the DSP. ?It is like calling MPEG4 ASP
>> "the codec".
>
> As I pointed out in the mail:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tree;f=drivers/staging/tidspbridge
>
> The linux kernel driver is called tidspbridge, you might dislike that
> name, but that's it's name, and it's the only real requirement from
> this code. "bridge" denominates the communication MPU <-> DSP, so the
> only logical name for the whole system is tidsp.

To any rational person, the name "tidsp" signifies something related
to TI DSPs in general, whereas dspbridge is but one of several methods
of communicating with it.

> It is far from obsolete, in fact, it's the *only* interface TI (or
> anyone) is pushing to merge into upstream, and it's the only that has
> reached the "staging" status.

Most people outside Nokia seem to be using dsplink, which has been
further abstracted to form syslink.  It is the only interface
available on OMAP4 and Netra, where it is used for communication with
all the various coprocessors, not only the DSP.

> You can read more in the dsp clarification page[1]. dsp-link is dead;
> [1] http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/DSP_Clarification

Nice try, referencing a page you wrote.

> TI will not be pushing it upstream or do any reviewing or cleaning up.

TI plan to push syslink upstream.

> dsp-gateway is dead; Nokia is not interested on it any more, and
> nobody from the community has picked it up.

Nobody mentioned dspgateway.  No need to bring it up in this discussion.

> So for all intends and purposes, tidspbridge is the only interface;

In your world.

> the only one actively maintained, the only one with a shot getting
> upstream,

On the contrary, syslink is maintained and will be pushed upstream.
How long a process that will be is impossible to predict of course.

> and the only one shipped on consumer products, current

Except the consumer products shipping with dsplink, that is.  There
are many of those.

> and future.

Do you have a crystal ball?

--