[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH 0/8] ffmpeg: add tidsp hwaccel support to avcodec

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Wed Sep 8 10:36:31 CEST 2010

2010/9/8 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ?libavcodec/tidsp_mpeg4.c ? ? ?| ?157 ++++++
>
> I dislike the "tidsp" name. ?This patch is for one specific, and
> mostly obsolete, interface to the DSP. ?It is like calling MPEG4 ASP
> "the codec".

As I pointed out in the mail:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tree;f=drivers/staging/tidspbridge

The linux kernel driver is called tidspbridge, you might dislike that
name, but that's it's name, and it's the only real requirement from
this code. "bridge" denominates the communication MPU <-> DSP, so the
only logical name for the whole system is tidsp.

It is far from obsolete, in fact, it's the *only* interface TI (or
anyone) is pushing to merge into upstream, and it's the only that has
reached the "staging" status.

You can read more in the dsp clarification page[1]. dsp-link is dead;
TI will not be pushing it upstream or do any reviewing or cleaning up.
dsp-gateway is dead; Nokia is not interested on it any more, and
nobody from the community has picked it up.

So for all intends and purposes, tidspbridge is the only interface;
the only one actively maintained, the only one with a shot getting
upstream, and the only one shipped on consumer products, current and
future.

[1] http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/DSP_Clarification

--
Felipe Contreras