[FFmpeg-devel] Important: upcoming CELT bitstream freeze!

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Thu Nov 18 14:40:44 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Jason Garrett-Glaser
<darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Jason Garrett-Glaser <jason at x264.com> wrote:
>>> ffmpeg will some day end up implementing a decoder for CELT.
>>
>> This is somewhat awkward, but have the CELT devs (does that include
>> you?)
>
> No, but my company uses CELT, so I try to be vaguely involved.
>
>> considered writing this decoder (and an encoder/encoder wrapper)
>> themselves?
>
> Write a second one? ?They already wrote one! ?Of course I imagine
> they'd be happy to help write wrappers, that's dead-simple. ?I was
> assuming ffmpeg wanted to do an independent implementation at some
> point ;)

People generally complain about FFmpeg's bad encoders.

I foresee I can essentially totally kill CELT's prospect of taking
over the world by writing a shit encoder in FFmpeg (compare
Theora/Vorbis). Not that I would, but do you see my point? It'd be
nice if you provide a patch that adds wrapper libs to FFmpeg at the
very least, so we have something to start off from.

Unfortunately, no time to review CELT right now, thesis thesis thesis,
but I'll try to look at it at some point...

Ronald