[FFmpeg-devel] [CHECKLIST] what is preventing us from switch to git

Peter Ross pross
Sun Jun 13 03:19:19 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 02:23:53AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 07:20:42PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > On date Saturday 2010-06-12 12:15:28 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > > On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:37:17AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> [...]
> > > a few points id like to raise though are that
> > > * a switch if it is done should not
> > >   be done during SOC to not burden the students unneccessarily
> > > * It should be announced at least 2 weeks before its done so people
> > >   have a bit of time to get used to git and maybe to commit outstanding
> > >   changes from their svn checkout
> > > * We need to document, a short cheat sheet that lists the
> > >   git equivalents to the common svn commands (that of course before
> > >   a switch is done)

I dont't recall this being done when we moved from CVS to SVN.

> > http://git-scm.com/course/svn.html
> > http://wiki.videolan.org/Git
> > (many others, Google is your Master...)
> >
> > No need to add another document.
>
> simply telling developers to pick any random guide they can find with google
> and then use whats written there is fine for peoples private repositories on
> their own machines.
> For the shared official ffmpeg repo the risk of this not interoperating with
> our setup is too high. Yes surely someone who knows git well can spot silly
> things at once but that guy doesnt need that guide to begin with.
> And especially with gits inability to revert changes once they are public
> we need a document that describes basic usage and we need to be able to adapt
> this document depending on problems found and also depending on changes to
> devel policy.

Let's select an existing one then, preferably one that is amenable to change.

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)