[FFmpeg-devel] Integrating the mod engine into FFmpeg - what is the best design approach?

Sebastian Vater cdgs.basty
Sat Jul 17 19:05:36 CEST 2010

Ronald S. Bultje a ?crit :
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Peter Ross <pross at xvid.org> wrote:
>
>> Also, codecs can support multiple different sample formats. A solution might
>> entail the Protrack II decoder outputing both SAMPLE_FMT_S32
>> and SAMPLE_FMT_SEQUENCE formats.
>>

> I think we're overstating relevance of this. No consumer-level
> soundcard plays any of this stuff anyway, we eventually always
> downgrade to int16 (same is true for float). The idea is that the
> audioconvert API does this for us, and that the sequencer (seq -> pcm)
> is "hidden" from unsuspecting apps through this API.

That's true, the mixers I did always output SAMPLE_FMT_S32 anyway. The
soundcard drivers I did in TuComposer were responsible to convert
SAMPLE_FMT_S32 to the target soundcard format.

SAMPLE_FMT_SEQUENCER would be target if we do a conversion between
different mod files instead of wanting PCM output.

--

Best regards,
                   :-) Basty/CDGS (-: