[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libavfilter audio API and related issues

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Mon Apr 5 19:49:14 CEST 2010

On date Monday 2010-04-05 16:54:18 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> only a few quick comments
>
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 01:55:43PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> > Follow some notes about a possible design for the audio support in
> > libavfilter.
> >
> > AVFilterSamples struct
> > ======================
> >
> > (Already defined in afilters, but renamed AVFilterBuffer at some
> > point.)
> >
> > Follows a possible definition (with some differences whit respect to
> > that currently implemented in afilters):
> >
> > typedef struct AVFilterSamples
> > {
> >     uint8_t *data;
>
> missing suport for planar formats
> also the structs are very similar to existing structs, do we really
> want new structs for each stream type?
> file position missing, it was possibly added later to the video
> structs and forgotten to be added to audio because it has seperate
> structs

I see the point, but then there are some specific fields which are
only meaningful for audio (sample_rate) and video (w, h, pixel_aspect).

Also data[4]/linesize[4] is going to work only with samples with no
more than four channel, av_audio_convert supports up to 6 channels.

Also we may need more enum SampleFormat, now we have (avcodec.h):

/**
 * all in native-endian format
 */
enum SampleFormat {
    SAMPLE_FMT_NONE = -1,
    SAMPLE_FMT_U8,              ///< unsigned 8 bits
    SAMPLE_FMT_S16,             ///< signed 16 bits
    SAMPLE_FMT_S32,             ///< signed 32 bits
    SAMPLE_FMT_FLT,             ///< float
    SAMPLE_FMT_DBL,             ///< double
    SAMPLE_FMT_NB               ///< Number of sample formats. DO NOT USE if dynamically linking to libavcodec
};

I wonder if we should support LE/BE variants like it is done with PCM
CODEC_ID_* and for enum PixelFormat.

Following the simplest path (distinct struct for
AVFilterPic/AVFilterSamples):

typedef struct AVFilterSamples
{
    uint8_t *data[6];
    int linesize[6];
    enum SampleFormat format;

    unsigned refcount;

    /** private data to be used by a custom free function */
    void *priv;
    void (*free)(struct AVFilterSamples *samples);
} AVFilterSamples;

typedef struct AVFilterSamplesRef
{
    AVFilterSamples *samples;
    uint8_t *data[6];           ///< samples data
    unsigned linesize[6];

    int64_t pts;                ///< presentation timestamp in units of 1/AV_TIME_BASE
    int64_t pos;                ///< byte position in stream, -1 if unknown

    unsigned sample_rate;       ///< number of sampler per second

    int perms;                  ///< permissions
} AVFilterSamplesRef;

This should allow to support packed/planar format with up to six
channels.

[...]

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fostering Fast Maxi Powerful Erudite Gargoyle