[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libavfilter audio API and related issues

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Apr 5 16:54:18 CEST 2010

only a few quick comments

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 01:55:43PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> Follow some notes about a possible design for the audio support in
> libavfilter.
>
> AVFilterSamples struct
> ======================
>
> (Already defined in afilters, but renamed AVFilterBuffer at some
> point.)
>
> Follows a possible definition (with some differences whit respect to
> that currently implemented in afilters):
>
> typedef struct AVFilterSamples
> {
>     uint8_t *data;

missing suport for planar formats
also the structs are very similar to existing structs, do we really
want new structs for each stream type?
file position missing, it was possibly added later to the video
structs and forgotten to be added to audio because it has seperate
structs

[...]

> No A/V synchronization mechanism is currently provided in ffplay, as
> A/V was supposed to be processed real-time with no further processing.

no? ffplay doesnt do AV sync anymore?

> Audio API
> =========
>
> Much of what discussed in [3] is also relevant to libavfilter, and
> much of that functionality may be implemented in it if we decide to
> follow that route, e.g. audio mixing may be implemented in a filter.
>
> Also it isn't clear where the audio API should be implemented,
> libavfilter will need to use the resampling functionality, if we don't
> want to make lavfi depend on lavc then this should be moved somewhere
> else (e.g. libavresample?).

possible

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact