[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Pixel format descriptors and hw-accelerated pixel formats

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Mon Oct 26 21:29:55 CET 2009

On date Sunday 2009-10-25 19:18:49 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 06:41:42PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
[...]
> > So my question is:
> > 1) does it makes sense to fill the pixdesc plane, step, chroma_w/h,
> > and components of an AVPixFmtDescriptor of an HW accelerated pixfmt?
>
> i guess it doesnt hurt to fill in what is semantically meaningfull.

Now I'm trying to wrap my head around all this HW acceleration stuff,
if someone wants in the meaningwhile gives some advice / tips I'll be
grateful and it would speed-up things.

> > I see in imgconvert the x/y chroma are used at least for VAAPI
> > formats.
> >

> > So my idea is to add another flag and use that in the definition of
> > the HW pixfmts descriptions, see the attached patch with only the XVMC
> > definitions filled.
>
> no objection to this

Applied.

> > Apart from this, what is still missing pixdesc to be enabled in SVN?
>
> as internal API, i guess nothing
> as public API id like to go over the API once again and it should be asked
> if anyone has any suggestions for improvments first
>

> > BTW I also wonder if it would make more sense into moving that to
> > libavutil,
>
> possibly yes

Patch for that posted.

[...]

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Freak and Faboulous Muttering Purposeless Entertaining God