[FFmpeg-devel] FATE IA64

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Oct 24 16:50:16 CEST 2009

Hello,
For anyone not that interested in FATE, my suggestion for the FFmpeg
side is to set hardcoded-tables by default on IA64.
The current IA64 FATE configs are just pointless, they fail to compile
and I don't think that will ever change with those gcc versions,
since I don't think it is appropriate to work around compiler issues in
configure.
There are several solutions, and I'd like to ask for at least one IA64
configuration to use one of them.
1) Try a different compiler, e.g. free non-commercial Intel ICC
2) Use --enable-small
3) Do not use --enable-shared
4) Use --enable-hardcoded-tables together with one of my patches to hardcode
   the mpegaudio tables

Actually I'd be in favour of having at least one of the configs just add
--enable-hardcoded-tables so it will be obvious once .bss shrinks enough
an act as a kind of "warning" when it grows again - even though I admit
such a thing could also easily be added to make test.
Since that option only increases the binary size, as mentioned at the
start I also wanted to suggest enabling it by default on IA64, opinions?