[FFmpeg-devel] FATE IA64

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Oct 24 17:52:39 CEST 2009

Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:

> Hello,
> For anyone not that interested in FATE, my suggestion for the FFmpeg
> side is to set hardcoded-tables by default on IA64.
> The current IA64 FATE configs are just pointless, they fail to compile
> and I don't think that will ever change with those gcc versions,
> since I don't think it is appropriate to work around compiler issues in
> configure.
> There are several solutions, and I'd like to ask for at least one IA64
> configuration to use one of them.
> 1) Try a different compiler, e.g. free non-commercial Intel ICC
> 2) Use --enable-small
> 3) Do not use --enable-shared
> 4) Use --enable-hardcoded-tables together with one of my patches to hardcode
>    the mpegaudio tables

At the very least, 3 should be done.

> Actually I'd be in favour of having at least one of the configs just add
> --enable-hardcoded-tables so it will be obvious once .bss shrinks enough
> an act as a kind of "warning" when it grows again - even though I admit
> such a thing could also easily be added to make test.
> Since that option only increases the binary size, as mentioned at the
> start I also wanted to suggest enabling it by default on IA64, opinions?

I'm hesitant to do that.  There are other ways to make it build, such
as not building shared libs, which is also the default.  We could make
it default for shared libs on ia64.  Someone disabling enough codecs
for it to work can easily disable hardcoded tables too.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com